Updated: Jul 4
“Give a girl the right shoes, and she can conquer the world.” – Marilyn Monroe
Finding the right outfits that fit and flatter you, shoes that are comfortable and stylish, and accessories for flavor can be challenging for many. Building a routine to care for these items is not very complicated. But for many, an added step will be too many. Our clients often find the “shop in your closet” activities is dreadful. They usually realize how much they need to do to care for the items they’ve invested upon completion.
Let’s look at some tips for taking the best care of your leather shoes and bags:
· Store them in a closet with good airflow and low humidity. Sunlight may fade and dry out leather. High humidity can lead to mildew on leather goods.
· Spray leather bags and shoes with a waterproof spray before using them in rain or high humidity day to prevent water spots, stains, and cracks. Remember to spray the straps as well.
· Put lipstick and other potentially staining items in protective cases rather than keeping them loose your bag. Also, do not overload your bag. Placing heavy items in a leather bag may cause the straps or handles to stretch or break.
· Use baby wipes to clean dirt, food crumbs and other potentially staining materials from the bag soon after use to prevent the substances from being ground into your bag's liner.
· Don't use shoe polish for your handbag even if it is intended for leather shoes.
· Don’t be afraid to invest in shoe-care and bag-care. It’s worthwhile to spend $95 to repair your $990 Jimmy Choo's shoes or your Gucci bag if it maintains the wear ability for a few years.
· Replace rubber bases on your shoes before the heel starts to wear out.
· Use Shoetrees help hold the shape of your shoes.
· Use Shoehorns to prevent breaking the backs of shoes.
· Resole your shoes so that they last longer, but only do this for good shoes.
What do you think?
Share your tips for shoe-care and bag-care on Twitter or Instagram with #shinethoseshoes!
Read more personal image tips at www.nycica.net